Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
Official Site of the Minnesota Wild
Guys Night Out #3 Season Ticket Holder Central Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest MN Wild App
Wild Message Boards

Photo

STOP SAYING HALF-WALL!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 melrosemullet

melrosemullet

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Doc Emerick and John Davidson just referred to it as the HALF-BOARD on OLN...which for some reason, did not annoy me nearly as much.
www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/The-Office-Michael-tackles-Toby.gif/

#22 Basil17

Basil17

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

#23 WildCRNA

WildCRNA

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

I never heard the term half-wall until that dinglefritz Terhar started using it. It drives me nuts too.

BTW-The predators play by play guy loves to refer to they play by where it is in relation to the trapazoid. You know-the new no touch lines for the goalies. It is maddening as well.

#24 rinkrat33

rinkrat33

Prospect

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

And quit calling it "The Glass!"  It's plastic - start calling it "The Plastic"...

Actually, at the Xcel, it's real tempered glass, not Plexi.

For what it's worth, Al Shaver used to say "half wall". I always figured he meant the areas of the boards that didn't have glass. So in front of the benches and back at the Met, there wasn't glass in front of the penalty and officials boxes either.

#25 sandhockey101

sandhockey101

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

Seems a bit pessimistic:

#26 sandhockey101

sandhockey101

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(SuperTacks @ Mar 21 2006, 05:49 AM)

If you don't know what the half-wall is, you don't know hockey...
  Here's the definition for you newbies....
  Half-wall:  The area along the dasher boards halfway between the blue line and the goal line in the offensive zone. Many players on the power play often position themselves at the half wall.

So, smarty pants, why do they call it the half-wall? And what is the english-translation of the same PP positioning region from Czech, Russian, French, and your choice of Scandinavian language? I bet it's not "half-wall"...

#27 sandhockey101

sandhockey101

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

10 Terms for the Fan
CSTV's Dave Starman Breaks Out The Hockey Dictionary
by Dave Starman/Special to CollegeSports.com / USCHO.com Nov. 14, 2004

GAPPING UP: "Closing the gap" seemed too easy to figure out, so "gapping up" took its place. It means when a defender playing one-on-one against an attacking forward controls the rate of his speed so that he can keep a small distance between himself and the attacking player. That way, the attacking player does not have time and space to create an option for himself with the puck.

ACTIVE STICKS: "Active sticks" is a term used to describe when a player on defense moves his stick quickly back and forth to eliminate passing lanes from the player with the puck. "Good sticks" often falls into this category as well. It could also describe the use of the stick by a defending player known for his ability to poke or sweep check the puck off an attacker's stick. I once told a kid he needed to have a good stick to play defense. He came to the next practice with a new stick, and asked me if his new stick "was a good one." I knew this was a losing battle.

PULLED A RELEASE: Not used that often, but still heard. When coaches use this term, it sometimes confuses players, because we think of it as an area pass in the context it is referred to.
A release is a play used mostly on a power play. If two attacking players are battling for a puck in the corner with two defenders, one may opt to bang the puck along the boards behind the goal to the other side of the ice. The winger who was out high will go low to pick it up, and the one of the two wingers who was tied up in the battle for the puck will jump out high, looking for a quick pass. It's called a release because the attacking team is releasing the pressure from one side of the ice to the other which has some open space.

ACROSS THE SEAM: This is one of my favorites. My wife thought that this was sewing term, and that a player had a problem with his hockey sweater. "Did his sweater tear?" she asked.
If someone throws a pass across the seam, it means an attacking player passed the puck parallel to the offensive blueline between the tops of the circles and the blueline near the middle of the ice.

SOFT LOCK: As a coach, you have won a major battle if you can get young players to know the difference between a soft and hard lock. As a fan, a soft lock sounds like having a poodle defend your valuables instead of putting them in a vault.
A soft lock means that a player coming back defensively (or backchecking) will be responsible for covering an area, usually the middle of the ice, instead of directly covering (or locking on) a specific attacker. I would say this is somewhat like a zone defense in football, but then again, I was a kicker, so take that analogy with a grain of salt.

HARD AROUND: If you execute a "hard around," it means that an offensive player has shot the puck into the offensive zone along the boards so that it goes from his side of the ice to the other side of the ice fast enough that the goalie can not get out behind the net to cut it off. Some also call it a "rimmer."

PEANUT BUTTER GOAL: This is one used by former Clarkson standout Craig Laughlin quite a bit when he does the color commentary on Washington Capitals TV broadcasts. It means a player scored a goal in which the puck was lifted into the top of the net. When a puck hits up there, its momentum keeps it up there a split second, and it looks like it stuck to the roof of the net. Similar to what peanut butter does to your tongue when you eat it, makes it stick to the top of your mouth. I like this expression.

CRISS CROSS ON THE NOSE: This could take many different directions if thought of satirically. I see George Carlin doing a monologue and using this term.
It means two attacking players, one of whom has the puck, cross paths on the attack. If it is done just inside the blueline where space is limited because the defense are "gapping up", its considered to be on the "nose" of the defensemen.

WATER SKIING: This is another fun one, and I think the first analyst I heard say this one was Harry Neale, the former NHL coach and GM. Harry now works on Canadian television and is a top-notch analyst (as many coaches are).
Water skiing, generally frowned upon as a defensive tactic by officials, is when a player is chasing a puck carrier (or even trying to back check a non-puck carrier). The defending player uses his stick to hook onto the attacking player, stops moving his feet, and literally skis along the ice using the momentum of the player he is chasing.

DOING THE WEAVE: As players get older, they tend to have to do this with their hair.
On ice however, "doing the weave" is a way of saying the attacking team is having its forwards change lanes on the ice by passing the puck and following the path of their puck. The puck receiver can also move in the direction from where the puck was just passed from, thereby constantly changing the angle of the attack.
This phrase really blossomed in the early 1980's after the U.S. team pulled off the Miracle on Ice in Lake Placid. The late Herb Brooks was given credit for developing this style of play, which he admitted he implemented after watching the Soviets use it for years. However, those of my generation, who still think that those two weeks in February of 1980 was still the coolest hockey experience they ever had, "doing the weave" is a hockey term we cling to affectionately. It's generational. People from the 60's still think things are groovy.

#28 toughie

toughie

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

Nice to see many have lightened up a bit around here tongue.gif

Now for the real question: Is "half-wall" as irritating as "lost the handle"?

Just curious...

#29 fargokase

fargokase

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:19 AM

Well I demand we stop using the term corners! There are NO corners in a hockey rink. Corners have a 90 degree angle, the... umm, ahh, whatever you want to call them are rounded. Who ever heard of a rounded corner?

And quit calling it "The Glass!" It's plastic - start calling it "The Plastic"...

#30 fargokase

fargokase

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

got no problem with "half wall" (it's a valid hockey term) or even "lost the handle"; I can even deal with "big drive" - but any time I hear "biscuit" I want to tear someone's throat out... mad.gif Freakin' squeaky ball aholes!!!

#31 scooter-1

scooter-1

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

haven't we had this discussion before....?

#32 scooter-1

scooter-1

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(mplspug @ Mar 19 2006, 09:18 PM)

I must have missed it.

The other thread on this topic...
I had to look a bit... cool.gif

#33 Shinny_Hockey

Shinny_Hockey

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

Just the title of this thread made me laugh out loud!

#34 Shinny_Hockey

Shinny_Hockey

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(mplspug @ Mar 21 2006, 08:52 PM)

I like the Peter Gibbons work ethic.  Do just enough not to get fired.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
But I think "lost a handle" may be even more annoying then "the half wall" but that's just me.

#35 Shinny_Hockey

Shinny_Hockey

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(fargokase @ Mar 21 2006, 09:22 PM)

got no problem with "half wall" (it's a valid hockey term)

Are you serious?? A valid hockey term my arse, that's just some dumb name that the bloated walrus and his pal big drive came up wiht. (No, wait, they're split up now, it's just big drive)

#36 burnzie13

burnzie13

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(RedDog3 @ Mar 21 2006, 03:14 PM)

I do my job half-arse.

We all do!

#37 scoring-for-minnesota

scoring-for-minnesota

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

I believe the "half-wall" refers to the point on the wall halfway between the goal line and the blue line. It has nothing to do with the height of the wall.

#38 scoring-for-minnesota

scoring-for-minnesota

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Basil17 @ Mar 20 2006, 10:54 AM)

Ha ha ha ha ha...that's great... laugh.gif

#39 MNWildFan99

MNWildFan99

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(JeffB @ Mar 20 2006, 12:46 PM)

The one that drives me nuts is "unanswered goals" and how often that is used wrong.

For example;

Dallas leads New Jersey 2-0.

New Jersey wins 4-2.

The announcers will say "New Jersey scored four unaswered goals."

NO, THEY FREAKIN' DIDN'T!

The first two goals they scored were the "answers" to the first two goals Dallas had already. Dallas does not need to "answer" the first two Devils goals since they were up by two.

The Devils have two "unanswered goals" and four CONSECUTIVE goals.

JeffB

Unanswered goals is referring to the other team. Say we score 4 goals and the other team doesn't score any, then they are 4 unanswered (by the opposition) goals.

#40 MNWildFan99

MNWildFan99

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(mplspug @ Mar 21 2006, 07:52 PM)

I like the Peter Gibbons work ethic.  Do just enough not to get fired.

Out of curiousity.....are you a union worker? biggrin.gif I have been for the past 6 years....i'm just wondering.....not making assumptions.

divider
wild.com is the official Web site of the Minnesota Wild Hockey Club. The Minnesota Wild, wild.com, "The State of Hockey" and State of Hockey flag image are trademarks of Minnesota Sports & Entertainment. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013  Minnesota Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

About Us | FAQs | Contact Us | Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use | Advertising | Code of Conduct | Privacy Policy | AdChoices

>