Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MK-9

I personally think it would be cool, neat, fun, etc. (not necessary) to have a Minnesota native on the team.

145 posts in this topic

You sound like the old fool who called Grandpa in between calls berating Brewster the Sunday after New Years, complaining of the exact same thing.

Only a fool thinks you draft a player just because they're from Minnesota. You draft the BEST player available when it's your turn. If you don't believe me, I have a name for you...AJ Thelen. Yeah, that one turned out so well.  You also only pick up the BEST players who are available.  Parrish didn't exactly work out either.

It just seems kind of odd to me.  We're in the State of Hockey and our professional team is void of Minnesotan hockey players.  Robbie Earl is the only American we have right now!

I'd love to have a player like Langenbrunner on our team.  Its always cool to have someone local.  Its the thing I miss most about Parrish.

Opinions?

I'd love to have a player like Alexander Ovechkin, but he is from Russia.  Yea.... its sorta kinda neat (lol) to have a local on the team, but it would be better to have a Stanley Cup performing team. Who cares if its made up of Russians, Canadians, Czechoslovakians or... even Americans lol.  As said before, take the best in the draft and sign the best player... right?   

A goal is a goal is a goal.....it doesn't matter where the person is born who scores it.

And since the OP mentioned Parrish, I wonder if he remembers that we're still PAYING HIS SALARY, which therefore county against our cap hit which prevents us from bringing in additional talent. We have to pay him through the 2013-14 season!

To the OP, here's how that "feel good" idea of having a Minnesotan on the team is hurting us.

Courtesy of nhlnumbers.com regarding Parrish's salary:

2009-10 = $728K

2010-11 = $728K

2011-12 = $928K

2012-13 = $928K

2013-14 = $928K

With our current goaltending woes, I know I'd rather be spending that money elsewhere than paying for a worthless player from Minnesota.

I want a good team. If it's full of Swedes, Fins and Russians, that is fine with me. There is no need to go out and scout/trade for a Minnesota native unless they are a good fit for our team.

It just seems kind of odd to me.  We're in the State of Hockey and our professional team is void of Minnesotan hockey players.  Robbie Earl is the only American we have right now!

I'd love to have a player like Langenbrunner on our team.  Its always cool to have someone local.  Its the thing I miss most about Parrish.

Opinions?
Not interested Sid.

I have never understand some Minnesotan's  need to have a player from their home state on the Wild.  It's not like if we get a Minnesotan on the team you are going to know him better then any other member of the team.  I get the whole state pride thing too.  If you seen any of my posts you will never see a bigger fanboy of anything Iowa.  UNLESS it comes at the price of my team doing well.  If you have a choice between 2 players and they are both equal in ability then sure go for the hometown boy.  But getting a Minnesotan just for the sake of having a Minnesotan is just bad business and stupid. 

Why is everyone (MNSOTA) so bitter on this forum ? You have your opinions, and I have mine. I think it would be cool to have a few Minnesota players on the team. Clearly you (MNSOTA) think its cool to bash anyone with an opinion contrary to yours.

I'm on a lot of forums and this one is by far the least pleasant I've been on. Which is a shame, cause I love the Wild.

What about the coach hes from Minnesota does that cont

Yeah, I think that's pretty darn cool.

I'm not saying we should scrap all our players in favor of Minnesotans, I'm simply saying it'd be cool to have a few more home town guys!  I too would choose a non-Minnesotan player over native if he was better.  But, I guess I'm the only one who would enjoy having a hometown guy on the team.

Why is everyone (MNSOTA) so bitter on this forum ? You have your opinions, and I have mine. I think it would be cool to have a few Minnesota players on the team. Clearly you (MNSOTA) think its cool to bash anyone with an opinion contrary to yours.

I'm on a lot of forums and this one is by far the least pleasant I've been on. Which is a shame, cause I love the Wild.

roll.gifMNSOTA wait 'til he meets your husband.

Seriously?  That's contrary to what I've heard over the many years from visiting fans.  Sure, we have a couple of meanies, but I'll take that along with the copious amounts of intelligent hockey conversation we usually have over a board over-ruled by ignoramus pre-teens (ala CDC).

It's not my fault you made a stupid suggestion with your supporting evidence being Mark Parrish.  And it's not my fault that your suggestion pretty much mirrored the call that I heard on Sports Huddle by some old fart who thinks we need to draft Minnesota players first.  Also, we get this exact same topic at least once a year, and trust me it gets old.  The concept does NOTHING to make the team better, it only satisfies some ridiculous and illogical need of some fans.

Fine, you want a suggestion of a Minnesota-born player, who would fit in and make this team better?  How about Spring Lake Park-native, David Backes?  He would be nice, but I highly doubt St. Louis would let him go for nothing.  Nor would New Jersey let us get Langenbrunner or Martin easily.  We don't have the prospect depth to try and get the good Minnesota players out there nor can we afford to deal draft picks.  We need to be focusing on scouting and development of prospects.  Screw getting players just based on where they're from.  I want us to get the best players available. 

[quote name='jaggedice wrote:

atvman29']Why is everyone (MNSOTA) so bitter on this forum ? You have your opinions, and I have mine. I think it would be cool to have a few Minnesota players on the team. Clearly you (MNSOTA) think its cool to bash anyone with an opinion contrary to yours.

roll.gifMNSOTA wait 'til he meets your husband.

Yeah, he's laughing about this topic in general.  I think you made his day jagged with your comment.

[quote name='jaggedice wrote:

atvman29']It just seems kind of odd to me.  We're in the State of Hockey and our professional team is void of Minnesotan hockey players.  Robbie Earl is the only American we have right now!

Opinions?

Not interested Sid.

roll.gif

Was thinking something similar.

I don't care if this team is full of animated rubber %!#* dolls from China. If they can score, play quality defense, goaltend and win games, who gives a soupy shat where they're from. We don't "need" anyone from anywhere.

Really? You have definitely not been on euf boards then cuz this is one of the nicer ones I've been on!

This is the least pleasant?  roll.gif  Well that noise you hear is the world's smallest violin playing just for you pal.  Honestly, if you want to just sit around and contribute trash go post over on the Carolina Hurricanes board and their nazi moderators over there or Atlanta Thrashers boards.  People in those places are allowed to simply say "Go Canes Go" or "Go Thrashers Go" so perhaps that's the type of insight you'd like to be around.  I don't give a crap whether you want a Minnesota born player on this team or not, what makes it so much better?  Do Minnesota goals count more than ones scored by Canadians or Finns, or Russians?  Nope.  So who cares where they're from?  Only clueless dopes do.  The North Stars cared far too much about having local guys be drafted by them or on their roster and I believe it hurt their team.  Sure they'd have a Jon Casey or a Neal Broten that turned out but they had lots of garbage too.  Yet as others have stated, if this team is playing good defense, scoring goals, and most importantly...winning games I don't care if our entire team is from Denmark or Hungary (I wish JencaHungary was around to see this) I'd be fine with it. 

If you don't like it around here, just leave.  No one will care if you leave...you won't be missed.  Game on instead of lame on as Fargo used to say! 

You want a MN player? Matt Cullen. Character counts and he truly is one of the "good guys". He's also an excellent PP point man and two way player. He contributes a lot more to the game than the points show, as anyone who followed Carolina's Stanley Cup Win would have seen. It's a shame Risebrough didn't pick him up several years ago.

I almost stopped rooting for the Canucks because they were never able to sign/trade for burnaby Joe Sakic!

Sarcasm FYI

I almost stopped rooting for the Canucks because they were never able to sign/trade for burnaby Joe Sakic!

Sarcasm FYI

Hmmm.....this explains so much. roll.gif

Basically, when a team finds a player that meets their needs and helps to win games that's all fans can really ask for. If they happen to be local that's just irrelevent icing on the cake.

[quote name='atvman29 wrote:

Opinions?
tumbleweed.gif

MK-9 wrote:

jaggedice wrote:

atvman29']It just seems kind of odd to me.  We're in the State of Hockey and our professional team is void of Minnesotan hockey players.  Robbie Earl is the only American we have right now!

Opinions?

Not interested Sid.

roll.gif

Was thinking something similar.

I don't care if this team is full of animated rubber %!#* dolls from China. If they can score, play quality defense, goaltend and win games, who gives a soupy shat where they're from. We don't "need" anyone from anywhere.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You can all poop, but if you take a look at all the good MNers in the NHL, and notice that none of them are on this team, it sticks out.

Not saying its the end of the world, but chill i guess

2000 Entry Draft: I see no Minnesotans in the top 10. Wild have 3rd Pick = Marian Gaborik

2001 Entry Draft: I see no Minnesotans in the top 10. Wild have 6th Pick = Mikko Koivu

2002 Entry Draft: I see no Minnesotans in the top 10. Wild have 8th Pick = Pierre-Marc Bouchard

2003 Entry Draft: One Minnesotan in the top 20.  Wild have 20th Pick = Brent Burns.  Parise gets taken at 17.  I guess we could have taken Stuart.

2004 Entry Draft: Two Minnesotans in the top 20.  Wild have 12th Pick = A. J. Thelen. Blake Wheeler goes 5th.

2005 Entry Draft: One Minnesotan in the top 10.  Wild have 4th Pick = Benoit Pouliot.  Brian Lee was taken 9th over all.  Didn't see the NHL until 2007-08 for six games for Ottawa.

2006 Entry Draft:  Big year for Minnesotan kids.  Three in the top 10.  Wild have 9th pick = James Sheppard.  Erik Johnson taken 1st. Kyle Okposo taken 7th.  Peter Mueller taken 8th.  I guess we could have dropped to 20th to take Fischer, but he hasn't made it to the NHL yet.

2007 Entry Draft: No Minnesotan in the top ten.  Ryan McDonagh taken 12th.  Wild have 16th pick = Colton Gillies.

2008 Entry Draft: No Minnesotan in the top ten.  Jake Gardiner taken 17th over all.  Wild have 23rd pick = Tyler Cuma.

2009 Entry Draft: No Minnesotan in the top ten.  Wild have 16th pick = Nick Leddy.***

Jamie Langenbrunner, taken in the 2nd round in 1993 by the Dallas Stars., 35th over all.  1993 may strike the bell of some, as it was the year the North Stars moved from Minnesota to become the Dallas Stars. roll.gif

Now, why do people that have been around these boards bristle when someone posts this drivel?

1. It's been posted so many times already...

2. A. J. Thelen

3. Nick Leddy shouldn't have been taken that high.  TT wanted him (as did GMCF, obviously), and they couldn't trade down any farther.