Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LordFletcher

The Future. 2012-2013 Lines.

49 posts in this topic

I know we have better things to worry about at this time as Wild fans but I was just thinking about this last night and I haven't been able to figure out how were going to get everyone ice time next year if things go the way they are looking... I am assuming we are going to get Parise for the sake of making this harder than easier

Current forwards

Koivu

Cullen

PMB

Brodziak - Should be getting a nice extension before the deadline

Powe

Wellman

Gillies

Heatley

Seto

Nick Johnson

Clutter

Latrendresse

Staubitz (Gone after the season)

- I might be forgetting someone

Now we will be adding Granlund, Bulmer and Phillips to the team, and I'm guessing Coyle will stay at BU and Zucker will have a chance with the Wild but would start his first season in Houston (not sure if he has another year at Denver or not) .... No doubt in my mind Brodziak gets a new deal and with adding Granlund our center core fills in really fast. I think Powe will be the odd man out even tho I like his play, Gilles is 100% gone in my eyes from the Wild and will be sent down to Houston for next year if not traded for a 2/3rd round pick (similar to Sheppard) ... Wellman stays because of his speed and could turn into a nice 3rd-4th line and penalty kill guy. I would assume they will want to keep Johnson with Brodz but we'll see too much season left to determine how that will go but I have a feeling Latendresse is our odd man out and could be moved at the end of the season before the draft? I'm sure their are a few flaws in my thinking here, feel free to rip :) No matter how this goes we are sitting in a great situation, one that we haven't been in for some time, if ever!

The only guy you can definitely pencil in for next year in top 6 is Granlund. If Wellman keeps up his good play for the rest of the year then he'll maybe be in our plans for next seasons roster, Johnson and Brodziak definitely stay, soo too Powe. Gillies and Staubitz at this rate can go, so maybe that is where you put a guy like Bulmer next year, though you still need to give these guys minutes, perhaps Almond can be that good #3, 4 center next year too. Then you let guys like Larsson play in Houston and develop, and i'd let Zucker stay in in school and Brodin in Europe because what is the rush at this point. :D

When these guys all start getting into the lineup two, three years from now with Seto, Heatley, Koivu, and perhaps still Butch, Cullen and Lats that will look mighty good. B)

Granlund is the most likely one to see in a Wild sweater. Not sure about Coyle, like you said, maybe another year @ BU. Zucker may get another year in Denver unless he wants to play in Houston? Phillips? I hear he's having a solid year, prior to that I thought he's end up in Houston for a season or two..

Gonna ger dicey.

I'd like to see Brodziac get an extension.

There's no doubt Brodz will be offered an extension --whether he'll take it or decide to see what might be out there for him on the open market is a different question. Fletcher isn't going to back-up the Brinks truck for him, and right now his agent might be feeling pretty fiesty.

Lats. . . I think he had to have a big year this year, and while he still has a chance, I'm not sure now that its going to be big enough to get him the kind of deal here he'll be looking for. I can't see the Wild giving him a big multi-year deal with all those young forwards on the horizon. They'd probably love to have him next year, but year 2-4 is going to be the problem. He is an RFA tho, so they might manage a one-year deal.

I forgot all about Latts..

I think he's likely a goner.

As i recall i think the Wild has his right for one more season so i could see him back next year on a one year deal if he has a strong finish to this year. He was playing well before getting a concussion.

As i recall i think the Wild has his right for one more season so i could see him back next year on a one year deal if he has a strong finish to this year. He was playing well before getting a concussion.

Thanks, I had it in my head he was at the tail end, but then again I already gapped he was even playing.. My memory is shot, the VA is dilegantly trying to fix that haha.. Not gonna happen.

The only guy you can definitely pencil in for next year in top 6 is Granlund.

I'm not that confident. I'll have a better sense after the World Juniors. We basically have to extrapolate, and it will be easier once he's played against his North American peers.

A lot is made of the fact that he's playing against men. Well I'm assuming those men are the equivalent of the AHL, at best. I'm assuming most of his countrymen good enough to play in the NHL are probably already doing so.

I'm impressed with his skills I've seen on YouTube and his prominence over there, but I'm not ready to even pencil him on the final lineup, let alone permanent marker, let alone top 6.

I don't even want to say, "I hope I'm wrong." As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. It might mean we haven't got anything better, and that could be not so good.

I want him to come over here and leave his prominence behind. He'll be a rookie and he should have to fight hard for his place like every other player.

I'm not that confident. I'll have a better sense after the World Juniors. We basically have to extrapolate, and it will be easier once he's played against his North American peers.

A lot is made of the fact that he's playing against men. Well I'm assuming those men are the equivalent of the AHL, at best. I'm assuming most of his countrymen good enough to play in the NHL are probably already doing so.

I'm impressed with his skills I've seen on YouTube and his prominence over there, but I'm not ready to even pencil him on the final lineup, let alone permanent marker, let alone top 6.

I don't even want to say, "I hope I'm wrong." As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. It might mean we haven't got anything better, and that could be not so good.

I want him to come over here and leave his prominence behind. He'll be a rookie and he should have to fight hard for his place like every other player.

he played against other nhl players in the world championships for finland last year and looked very good in their march to the gold medal. you have to take that into account. the european leagues are also something i wouldnt be too quick to put down as some of them are quite good.

Latendresse is a RFA after this year. "I believe 88.2% sure"

I hate to say it but I see him as trade bait to move up this year in the draft. I assume he has to be traded (if we wanted to) by free agency frenzy day which is usually 20 days or so before the draft

obviously that is a huge guess but you heard it here first

he played against other nhl players in the world championships for finland last year and looked very good in their march to the gold medal. you have to take that into account. the european leagues are also something i wouldnt be too quick to put down as some of them are quite good.

Correct. He is / was playing against men, not boys. It is 50x harder to score there than the CHL or wherever

Yes, Granlund is anything but NHL proven. He is smallish and slowish. He shouldn't be able to play in the NHL if you think about it... But then again, c'mon - he is Mikael Granlund! Better than Koivu offensively in the last Worlds already, number one prospect in the world (according to Hockey Prospectus), allegedly (one of) the best player(s) outside of the NHL, the next great player from Finland, even "the best Finnish player in the game now" (NHL players included). Could he be so touted, if he wasn't good enough to be a top 6 guy in the Wild next season?? No. Yes. Well, who knows...

Latendresse is a RFA after this year. "I believe 88.2% sure"

Unless capgeek is wrong. CapGeek - Wild

I have a real hard time 'penciling in' Granlund in the top six when you look at the established NHL players we have under contract. He plays center. Koivu isn't going anywhere, Cullen has a no-trade, and if they re-sign Brodz they are three-deep at that position with solid, proven players.

Center is a tough job in our system, I could see them starting him on the wing. Move him there, and if you think he's top-six, that means Wellman and Lats are SOL, and Clutter is on the 3rd line.

It could happen. I dunno. I've only seen highlight reels from Granlund, not full games.

Long-term D solution is the big question, IMO.

Unless capgeek is wrong. CapGeek - Wild

I have a real hard time 'penciling in' Granlund in the top six when you look at the established NHL players we have under contract. He plays center. Koivu isn't going anywhere, Cullen has a no-trade, and if they re-sign Brodz they are three-deep at that position with solid, proven players.

Center is a tough job in our system, I could see them starting him on the wing. Move him there, and if you think he's top-six, that means Wellman and Lats are SOL, and Clutter is on the 3rd line.

It could happen. I dunno. I've only seen highlight reels from Granlund, not full games.

Long-term D solution is the big question, IMO.

IMO granlund is much better in live when you see him playing in a game where his best asset is clearly visible, namely his tremendous hockey sense. Those highlight reels are rather bad actually, i have never liked them. he looks average in them. Of course he has bad games but he is rather consistent and when he has a good day he is damn impressive. He plays wing in the NT, already in the last WC. It might suit him better although he wants to play center. But can he do it in the NHL? I think he should stay on a wing.

Good Lord.

What was that one guy's name that used to come in here only to spew "possible" line after line???

Who cares!?!?! (He was bound to be right at one point, right?) :rolleyes:

I will give you this - that tool used to do it when JL was here - which of course, was pure folly - since lines changed like the wind.

Wait a minute, Granlund is slowish? I haven't heard that before, am I missing something?

would cullen ever move to wing to make room for another 2nd line center like granlund? id have to believe that lats will be traded or let go to make room for him in our top 6 group, but id prefer to see wellman in the minors another year just in case we have some injuries in our top 6. hes an adequate replacement in a pinch. i know people like seeing clutter get top line minutes, but he really should be on our third line with brodz and johnson. enough offensive firepower to put a few in, and he can still hit to his hearts content w/o messing up any opportunities.

wildheater, i've already asked this ? in atleast 2 other threads. if/when granlund needs a roster spot my guess is lats or pmb get bumped. pmb makes 4.1 mill ,was a top ten draft pick yet hes only had ONE, i repeat one 20 goal campaign. he shows flashes of brilliance ,then disappears. lats could be a very good player but we need healthy players. just my 2 cents

Wait a minute, Granlund is slowish? I haven't heard that before, am I missing something?

Well, he has improved his footspeed quite a lot since the draft but there is still room for development. As he was instructed by the wild management back then (after the draft): "Granlund must improve his skating." I wouldn't say he is slow (anymore) but he is not the fastest there, either. that's for sure. and he should be faster for a player of his size... he is no rocket.

wildheater, i've already asked this ? in atleast 2 other threads. if/when granlund needs a roster spot my guess is lats or pmb get bumped. pmb makes 4.1 mill ,was a top ten draft pick yet hes only had ONE, i repeat one 20 goal campaign. he shows flashes of brilliance ,then disappears. lats could be a very good player but we need healthy players. just my 2 cents

so your point is you have already brought this up in two other random threads that lats or PMB gets bumped? Thanks, sorry I didn't notice ??? What do you want me to say... I agree PMB hasn't performed to expectations of what he is making $$$. but there is more to this situation that just those two...

i am excited about the pool of prospects, (CF gets credit for) and 2 quote the great & wise mort, its a manageable problem! cheers, go wild n crazy.

I think Granlund's role on the team, at least initially, will depend on whether or not we can bring Brodziak back. If we can sign him to a reasonable deal, then I really hope we can sign him before he gets to free agency but I don't want to break the bank for him, either. I'm generally skeptical of career seasons in contract years. Say what you will about Bouchard's stats but he (and everyone else on the team) is winning hockey games. As Herb Brooks said (or at least he said it in the movie) - its not about having the best guys, it's about having the right guys. For whatever reason, this is a pretty good hockey team right now - none of the prospects will be simply given a spot on the roster next year

Based on our players under contract, (and we are under the cap) here is what we are likely looking at next season:

Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi

Clutterbuck-Cullen-Pierre Marc Bouchard

Bulmer-Brodziak-Johnson

Powe-Gillies-Granlund

Wellman

Scandella Zidlicky

Scultz-Spurgeon

Cuma-Prosser

Prosser-Genoway

Backstrom or Harding

Hackett

Assumptions here: Bulmer and Grandlund and Cuma show they are ready for the big show

Brodziak and Johnson sign as UFAs based on performance

Wellman and Prosser earn extensions for hard work and effectiveness

Genoway inexpensive but steady signing who can provide offense if from blue line if Zidlicky is out

*Harding is lost as free agent or Backstrom traded

Based on our players under contract, (and we are under the cap) here is what we are likely looking at next season:

Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi

Clutterbuck-Cullen-Pierre Marc Bouchard

Bulmer-Brodziak-Johnson

Powe-Gillies-Granlund

Wellman

Scandella Zidlicky

Scultz-Spurgeon

Cuma-Prosser

Prosser-Genoway

Backstrom or Harding

Hackett

Assumptions here: Bulmer and Grandlund and Cuma show they are ready for the big show

Brodziak and Johnson sign as UFAs based on performance

Wellman and Prosser earn extensions for hard work and effectiveness

Genoway inexpensive but steady signing who can provide offense if from blue line if Zidlicky is out

*Harding is lost as free agent or Backstrom traded

You would NEVER put Granlund on the 4th line, might as well trade him if you think that's how the lines would shake down... Also don't forget the possibility of Parise, that's why I'm not against trading for him (seeing we have prospects to move not named Granlund) but I would rather get him for free in the summer.

Backstrom can't be traded, Harding will get moved. They need to call up Hackett to let Darcy Kuemper take over Houston....

****I would trade to NJ something like Harding, Latendresse (whatever else either team) for Parise.

that's my guess

Considering that Granlund can also play extremely well as a winger instead of playing center.

You're right not to blindly trust a guy, you've never seen play, you've only seen him on highlight reels.

Granlund is a better player than Mikko, that is a fact. Mikko is a winner, he doesn't care about anything else

but winning.. that's why Finland won the world championship this year, with a basically nameless team.. We had Mikko who did everything he could for the team, he made the guys play for the win.

Then we had Granlund and Immonen to score the points needed to win.

Mikko is an excellent captain, he does everything possible to win.

Mikael Granlund makes his linemates look good, he is not a complete NHL-player yet, he is a guy who needs

top-6 minutes to show who he is.

But since you have Mikko, PMB, Cullen Brodziak.. Granlund seems not to fit in. How much would the Wild

get if you used Granlund as a tradebait? Something to add to your defensive core maybe?

He is a top prospect. As fans, are you willing to give him a chance to play in the top 6 or should he

be used as a tradebait? Cause the fact is, that he needs to be top 6. He's not a third or a fourth liner.

And sorry about the bad/confusing english i use, i'm slightly drunk at the moment.