Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
Official Site of the Minnesota Wild
Last Chance at Season Tickets Season Ticket Holder Central Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest MN Wild App
Wild Message Boards

Photo

The Future. 2012-2013 Lines.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#21 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

i am excited about the pool of prospects, (CF gets credit for) and 2 quote the great & wise mort, its a manageable problem! cheers, go wild n crazy.

#22 Puck_in_the_Nards

Puck_in_the_Nards

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

I think Granlund's role on the team, at least initially, will depend on whether or not we can bring Brodziak back. If we can sign him to a reasonable deal, then I really hope we can sign him before he gets to free agency but I don't want to break the bank for him, either. I'm generally skeptical of career seasons in contract years. Say what you will about Bouchard's stats but he (and everyone else on the team) is winning hockey games. As Herb Brooks said (or at least he said it in the movie) - its not about having the best guys, it's about having the right guys. For whatever reason, this is a pretty good hockey team right now - none of the prospects will be simply given a spot on the roster next year

#23 icechipper

icechipper

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Based on our players under contract, (and we are under the cap) here is what we are likely looking at next season:

Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi
Clutterbuck-Cullen-Pierre Marc Bouchard
Bulmer-Brodziak-Johnson
Powe-Gillies-Granlund
Wellman

Scandella Zidlicky
Scultz-Spurgeon
Cuma-Prosser
Prosser-Genoway

Backstrom or Harding
Hackett

Assumptions here: Bulmer and Grandlund and Cuma show they are ready for the big show
Brodziak and Johnson sign as UFAs based on performance
Wellman and Prosser earn extensions for hard work and effectiveness
Genoway inexpensive but steady signing who can provide offense if from blue line if Zidlicky is out
*Harding is lost as free agent or Backstrom traded

"Drop the puck already!"

#24 LordFletcher

LordFletcher

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Based on our players under contract, (and we are under the cap) here is what we are likely looking at next season:

Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi
Clutterbuck-Cullen-Pierre Marc Bouchard
Bulmer-Brodziak-Johnson
Powe-Gillies-Granlund
Wellman

Scandella Zidlicky
Scultz-Spurgeon
Cuma-Prosser
Prosser-Genoway

Backstrom or Harding
Hackett

Assumptions here: Bulmer and Grandlund and Cuma show they are ready for the big show
Brodziak and Johnson sign as UFAs based on performance
Wellman and Prosser earn extensions for hard work and effectiveness
Genoway inexpensive but steady signing who can provide offense if from blue line if Zidlicky is out
*Harding is lost as free agent or Backstrom traded

You would NEVER put Granlund on the 4th line, might as well trade him if you think that's how the lines would shake down... Also don't forget the possibility of Parise, that's why I'm not against trading for him (seeing we have prospects to move not named Granlund) but I would rather get him for free in the summer.

Backstrom can't be traded, Harding will get moved. They need to call up Hackett to let Darcy Kuemper take over Houston....

****I would trade to NJ something like Harding, Latendresse (whatever else either team) for Parise.

that's my guess
Posted Image

#25 Mygy

Mygy

Prospect

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

Considering that Granlund can also play extremely well as a winger instead of playing center.
You're right not to blindly trust a guy, you've never seen play, you've only seen him on highlight reels.
Granlund is a better player than Mikko, that is a fact. Mikko is a winner, he doesn't care about anything else
but winning.. that's why Finland won the world championship this year, with a basically nameless team.. We had Mikko who did everything he could for the team, he made the guys play for the win.
Then we had Granlund and Immonen to score the points needed to win.
Mikko is an excellent captain, he does everything possible to win.
Mikael Granlund makes his linemates look good, he is not a complete NHL-player yet, he is a guy who needs
top-6 minutes to show who he is.
But since you have Mikko, PMB, Cullen Brodziak.. Granlund seems not to fit in. How much would the Wild
get if you used Granlund as a tradebait? Something to add to your defensive core maybe?
He is a top prospect. As fans, are you willing to give him a chance to play in the top 6 or should he
be used as a tradebait? Cause the fact is, that he needs to be top 6. He's not a third or a fourth liner.

And sorry about the bad/confusing english i use, i'm slightly drunk at the moment.

#26 LordFletcher

LordFletcher

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Considering that Granlund can also play extremely well as a winger instead of playing center.
You're right not to blindly trust a guy, you've never seen play, you've only seen him on highlight reels.
Granlund is a better player than Mikko, that is a fact. Mikko is a winner, he doesn't care about anything else
but winning.. that's why Finland won the world championship this year, with a basically nameless team.. We had Mikko who did everything he could for the team, he made the guys play for the win.
Then we had Granlund and Immonen to score the points needed to win.
Mikko is an excellent captain, he does everything possible to win.
Mikael Granlund makes his linemates look good, he is not a complete NHL-player yet, he is a guy who needs
top-6 minutes to show who he is.
But since you have Mikko, PMB, Cullen Brodziak.. Granlund seems not to fit in. How much would the Wild
get if you used Granlund as a tradebait? Something to add to your defensive core maybe?
He is a top prospect. As fans, are you willing to give him a chance to play in the top 6 or should he
be used as a tradebait? Cause the fact is, that he needs to be top 6. He's not a third or a fourth liner.

And sorry about the bad/confusing english i use, i'm slightly drunk at the moment.

There is no way we trade Granlund, NONE. He is very skilled and for anyone who saw him this summer at the X, you got a brief taste of what he can do... Not the fastest skater, like some have said but has poise and hands like PMB , but a lot more scoring ability than PMB. I could see Granlund being just as talented as RNH but not as many points. Please don't think I am saying Granlund is the next Ryan Nugent-Hopkins but I think they play a similar game
Posted Image

#27 lavalampluva

lavalampluva

Franchise Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,531 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

IMO Parise is the piece we are missing. The better the Wild do this year, the more likely they could land him.

#28 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

parise could be the missing link, im just not in favor of over paying people. i doubt we'd land him if we only offered 6 mill per year. what would you pay / offer him if you were gm for a day?

#29 LordFletcher

LordFletcher

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

parise could be the missing link, im just not in favor of over paying people. i doubt we'd land him if we only offered 6 mill per year. what would you pay / offer him if you were gm for a day?

I would be fine with anything under 7 million. He is worth every penny in my eyes. I would honestly offer Parise a deal around the 35million dollar range. 5years at $6.75mil is a great deal for the club and I wouldn't step foot over that price. I don't want to become top heavy. Would be nice to see what this line could do

Parise / Koivu / Heatley
Posted Image

#30 JackPack

JackPack

Prospect

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

There is no way we trade Granlund, NONE. He is very skilled and for anyone who saw him this summer at the X, you got a brief taste of what he can do... Not the fastest skater, like some have said but has poise and hands like PMB , but a lot more scoring ability than PMB. I could see Granlund being just as talented as RNH but not as many points. Please don't think I am saying Granlund is the next Ryan Nugent-Hopkins but I think they play a similar game

granlund and hopkins may play similar game in the sense that they both are extremély intelligent players who create scoring chances out of nothing. but besides that i don't see that much similarity in their styles of playing. hopkins is quicker and shiftier than granlund. granlund is like the next marc savard, i guess. small gritty center with incredible hockey iq.

#31 icechipper

icechipper

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Parise is a winner. And a Fighting Sioux. But only til Dec. 31 on the latter.

"Drop the puck already!"

#32 ipavaiva

ipavaiva

Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

One thing I don't get here is, why you can't let Brodz play as winger. I admit I don't know how good he is in face offs, but his skills in opponent end have really convinced me this season. He would be great winger and as fan of Finnish style, it's not impossible to play with two centers in one line; for example MG plays with his brother in same in Finland; both are centers but it's not slowing them down at all. If referee takes Mikael out of the face off, there is other guy who knows what do.

And especially when we talk of Brodz, I believe he could be just as good as winger as he is as center(asasasasas)

#33 sixfootten

sixfootten

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

line 1 = Seto - Koivu - Heatley
line 2 = Bouchard - Cullen - Grandlund
line 3 = Gillies - Powe - Clutterbuck
line ? = Latendress - Brodziak - Johnson

i put a question mark there because i don't know if they'll stick around, i'd like them to stick around though but if they keep having these phucking concussions (Lats) i want them gone

defense 1 = Zidlicky - Schultz
defense 2 = Spurgeon - Scandella
defense ? = Zanon - Stoner

i know everyone wants to get rid of Zid but i think he'll be around for another year where his goddamn contract ends, i also like this Scandella kid he's almost like Burnzy, good size and speed, good at barfing out turnovers too

goalie 1 = Backstrom
goalie 2 = Hackett

#34 wildcd26

wildcd26

Prospect

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

What i would do would be:

Latendresse-Koivu-Heatley
PMB-Granlund-Setoguchi
Coyle-Cullen-Clutterbuck
Powe-Brodziak-Johnson
Gillies

Scandella=Spurgeon
Schultz-Lundin
Stoner-Zidlicky
Falk

Backstorm
Hackett

Defense remains the same pretty much as this year, i do think zanon leaves after this year. Forwards is what gets me excited about having granlund and coyle playing next year. Those two add more offensive depth, with these lines the third line this year becomes the fourth line that can play against anyones top lines giving us three offensive lines. Looking from an opponents perspective those are some scary forward combinations coming at you. The goaltending is backstrom mostly due to his contract and i do think harding will get the oppurtunity to start somewhere and hackett will be a capable back up next year. Now if the wild trade for parise i do think it will be something like parise for harding, latendresse,a prosepct like cuma or prosser, and possibly a draft pick but i like the sounds of a parise koivu heatley line.

#35 Broten14

Broten14

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

I didnt think Coyle would make it up next season until this past month or so. I think he'd fit well into Yeos system. A great 2way forward, very good on the boards..

I think the Wild will likely have 2, maybe even 3 younguns wearing a Wild sweater next year. Granlund the most obvious, then Coyle and Phillips.. Phillips may just see spot duty.

As for Parise, I dont think he makes it to FA, I'd be surprised if he did, and if the Wild somehow bring him in one of the 3 above mentioned wont be wearing a Wild sweater imo.
-Proud MN Puckhead!

#36 fargokman

fargokman

Oxygen Thief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

Brodz's contract is a huge question mark. Will the Wild try and re-sign him or will the price be too high? Latindress is the other big question mark. Wellman is another question mark. He was showing a lot with CUllen and PMB for a few gmaes there so IMO the jury is still out on him. Altough nothing is impossible, I doubt Fletch could unload PMB or Heatley due to their contracts.

IMO Grandlund will make the team next year. Where he plays is another question that will be answered only after he gets here.

IMO pencilling in Coyle, Zucker, or Phillips is grossly premature. Fans are always way overestimating the potential of prospects.
MAY THE WILD DRINK FROM THE SKULLS OF THEIR ENEMIES: NO PRISONERS.

I Drink to make other people interesting.

#37 Broten14

Broten14

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I agree Fargo that Granlund is the only one worth betting on. Zucker (imo) is way to raw for the NHL, Coyle on the other hand I'd be surprised if in the least he doesn't see spot duty. Phillips, I guess im not sure about, my concern is wether or not he'll be able to keep up with the speed of the NHL.
-Proud MN Puckhead!

#38 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

i would think that granlund would learn the most from playing on a line w koivu. if that happens who's the best center for heater / seto? cullen? brodz? pmb? unless we're desperate i would leave coyle , zucker , bulmer on their current teams or the aeros next year. depends on our needs i guess. sure fun to think about parise in a wild uniform.

#39 GavinKing

GavinKing

Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

For the forwards I'd Do:

Line 1: Parise - Koivu - Heatley (Hard Working, Tough and Skillful line. Parise and Koivu can pass around and find a hole, and dish it up for Heatley to tee up.)
Line 2: PMB - Cullen - Granlund (Speed, Hand Skills, IQ Line) They all have great IQ and creativity with the puck. Although Granlund isn't the fastest, he's still young, and should be able to still contribute to an overall speedy and quick line. Would be a lot of fun to watch.
Line 3: Setoguchi - Brodziak - Clutterbuck (Good Speed, super hardworking checking line, but can still get a lot of the dirty goals with any of the 3 being willing to crash the net, and Clutterbuck and for sure Setoguchi having a pretty good shot to dish the puck out to)

That's 3 pretty damn hard lines to play against. All are scoring threats, and you got your speed and skillful line (line 2), your checking/hardworking/dirty goal line (line 3), and kind of a blend of both (line 1). Depending on what kind of hockey is being played, one of these lines should be able to have a good amount of time in the offensive zone.

For the 4th line, I would put:
Gilles - Powe - Johnson. This line would be your a-typical 4th line. They're not meant to score goals, though they might get some here and there. They're supposed to be a pain in the ass to play against with hard hits, and good D to shut down the other teams top lines. Powe and Johnson do this fantastically, and for not much money. Gilles, when he's focused on using his big body and not on trying to make a play to score goals, can be very effective in this role.

With this setup... Wellman, Staubitz, and Latendresse draw the short stick.

Staubitz, seems like a good guy, but I'd take a bigger body, younger guy in Gillies for a 4th line role over him. Powe and Johnson have proven to be much better players, and are more versatile of being able to take PK time to get our other forwards rest for offensive time. If Gillies proves to be unreliable, we can pick up a 4th line grinder easiy enough.

Wellman, though I really like, only plays well if he's in the top 6. He's been great with PMB and Cullen, but if Granlund is ready, who also will need to be top 6, I think Wellman gets sent back down until there's injuries.

If you sign Parise, Lats or Seto lose their spot. With Seto not having as many off-ice/injury issues, and already signed for another 2 years to a very reasonable deal, I think Lats loses out and is traded or simply not resigned. Either one of them would work well on the top 3 lines, but if you inject both Parise and Granlund into the line up, we don't have room for him (unless we're able to trade Heatley, which I don't think will happen).

Leave Coyle, Zucker, and some of the others down with Houston for at least a year. We don't need to rush these guys like the franchise has done before.

#40 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

gk, very good analysis, i would not bump seto to the 3rd line. instead i would trade pmb. (if we get parise). cheers all, im very amped about next yrs wild roster. GO WILD! we are slowly building a contender (imo)

divider
wild.com is the official Web site of the Minnesota Wild Hockey Club. The Minnesota Wild, wild.com, "The State of Hockey" and State of Hockey flag image are trademarks of Minnesota Sports & Entertainment. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013  Minnesota Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

About Us | FAQs | Contact Us | Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use | Advertising | Code of Conduct | Privacy Policy | AdChoices

>