SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Official Site of the Minnesota Wild
2014 5-Game Ticket Packs Season Ticket Holder Central Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest MN Wild App
Wild Message Boards

Photo

2012 Boys State High School Hockey Tournament Preview & Forum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

State Tournament Preview & Predictions

2012 Minnesota Boys State High School Hockey Tournament Preview

Written by Derek Felska | 04 March 2012

It know millions of Americans get pumped up for 'March Madness' that is the Men's NCAA Basketball tournament. Its the place where people invented stupid words like 'bracketology' and just about any workplace offered a pick 'em pool where you may have a $10-$20 buy in. Yet in Minnesota they have their own version of March Madness in the form of the State Tournaments; but one tournament trumps them all. That is the Boys State Hockey Tournament. No High School State Tournament in Minnesota quite has the energy and momentum the Boys Hockey Tournament does. I think a big reason the Boys State Hockey Tournament captures the imagination is the understanding that there will be future NHL players performing there. The list of names of players that once played in the State Tournament are a virtual who's who of Minnesota hockey. Just to name a few of these tournament attendees who made it to the NHL with varying degrees of success were Phil Housely, Scott Bjugstad, Neal Broten, T.J. Oshie, Henry Boucha, Jon Casey, Blake Wheeler, Paul Martin, Erik Johnson, John Pohl, Matt Hendricks as well as former and current Wild players such as Darby Hendrickson, Nate Prosser, Mark Parrish, Tom Gilbert and Matt Cullen. Yet I'd say the biggest draw of it all is the intensity of the games. Hockey is the best sport ever created by civilization; for its speed, skill, energy and unpredictability. Many fans go to the games with their own schools already eliminated from play simply because they want to enjoy perhaps the best high school hockey in the world.

It is almost uncanny, you can have players that have won the Stanley Cup or NCAA National Title, won a gold medal in the Olympics but when asked their greatest hockey moment they will say it was winning or even participating in the Minnesota State High School Tournament. Some NHL purists scoff at players glorifying a high school accomplishment but what often is stated as the reason for holding the Tourney in such high regard is the fact its a culminating accomplishment from your fellow hockey friends you grew up with your whole lives. It was the big payoff for most of these players after many weekends spent going to hockey tournaments and practices together. In most cases, when a player's senior year ends that will be the last time they play hockey with those friends they've had most of their lives and while just two teams get to finish as State Champions, all of the seniors know a huge stage in their hockey career is at an end. Any hockey player who has been there can relate to that. The Tournament begins at 11AM on Wednesday. So without further adieu here is the 2012 Minnesota Boys State Hockey Tournament Preview! (click on the link for the rest of the article)

This is always my favorite time of year, and I can remember watching the Tournament as far back as I can remember. I think its the most entertaining hockey you can ask for at this level and whether its your school or not you always find someone to root for. I have a full preview for Class A and AA as well as predictions. It should be a blast! Enjoy!

"Why mess around with PT boats when you can have a Destroyer?" Al Strachan when talking about trade for Georges Laraque

#2 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Go Cakes!

:D
Posted Image

"If a player comes along who is better then Bobby Orr, may the Good Lord let me be alive to see him because he is going to be one hell of a player to watch."

- Milt Schmidt -

#3 minnesota_wild

minnesota_wild

Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

i think the winners will be Edina and st. Thomas.

#4 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

:rolleyes: at Edina and St. Thomas Academy.

"Why mess around with PT boats when you can have a Destroyer?" Al Strachan when talking about trade for Georges Laraque

#5 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

After the Cakes, I am pulling for Maple Grove - if ONLY for the reason they are rockin that old throwback 32-point Maple Leaf on their sweaters! That's awesome.
Posted Image

"If a player comes along who is better then Bobby Orr, may the Good Lord let me be alive to see him because he is going to be one hell of a player to watch."

- Milt Schmidt -

#6 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Its all about Eagan in Class AA and Hermantown in Class A.

#7 Sportsfan-1

Sportsfan-1

Bruno's #1 fan

• Members
  • 25,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

^And down goes all your teams! Wow what an upset tonight with Lakeville South beating Duluth East! The AA tournament is off to a fantastic start, with Hill Murray using and abusing Maple Grove earlier today, and Moorehead behind a great goaltending performance upsets Eagn 4-0. Now all that is left is for BSM to upset Edina tonight!
Posted Image Posted Image
"I don't think we accomplished much," Pavano said of the 2010 season. "We won the division, but two years in a row we got swept in three games. We didn't accomplish anything, as far as playoffs, as far as I'm concerned.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 fargokman

fargokman

Oxygen Thief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,634 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD

PHUCK MUGHTY EAGAN! :lol: Shall we revist the predickheadshions?
MAY THE WILD DRINK FROM THE SKULLS OF THEIR ENEMIES: NO PRISONERS.

I Drink to make other people interesting.

#9 popeschmoll

popeschmoll

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Here's to breaking Moorhead's streak (0-7 in title games)

#10 Sportsfan-1

Sportsfan-1

Bruno's #1 fan

• Members
  • 25,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Wow, now Benilde behind captain Horn's goal with 23 seconds left beats Edina! What an amazing day of high school hockey! The road to a Hill Murray-Benilde final is one step closer! :D
Posted Image Posted Image
"I don't think we accomplished much," Pavano said of the 2010 season. "We won the division, but two years in a row we got swept in three games. We didn't accomplish anything, as far as playoffs, as far as I'm concerned.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 wild-fans-86

wild-fans-86

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Not too shabby. Picked 7 of 8 in the first round. Only loss was Duluth East. Who would have thought class A would be 4 blowouts and AA would be 4 upsets?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 PtoJoneser

PtoJoneser

Upper Level Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

i think the winners will be Edina and st. Thomas.

Wow, now Benilde behind captain Horn's goal with 23 seconds left beats Edina! What an amazing day of high school hockey! The road to a Hill Murray-Benilde final is one step closer! :D

too bad HM didnt get beat- Id be drinking champagne!!!1 Go Home cake eaters!!! woooo hooo!
No mas pantalones

#13 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

I got 6 of 8 right, even with misses on Duluth East and Eagan. Yea, Moorhead just 'killed' Eagan. It was like watching the 2003 Wild playoff team against Colorado. Still Moorhead and Bitzer won; we'll see if they can beat Hill-Murray.

#14 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD MOORHEAD

PHUCK MUGHTY EAGAN! :lol: Shall we revist the predickheadshions?

I still laugh at Moorhead after they got crushed by Elk River in the finals. And yea Brian Lee was going to give them a State Title finally, uh nope. The Spuds' curse will continue.

#15 hockeystateofmind

hockeystateofmind

Prospect

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

My family randomly draws teams every year. Mine this year were Rochester Lourdes, Duluth Marshall, Maple Grove and Edina. Better luck next year.

#16 Jagged_Ice

Jagged_Ice

All-Star Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

St. Cloud can never send Apollo or Tech into this tourney. Sucks!

#17 hockeystateofmind

hockeystateofmind

Prospect

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

St. Cloud can never send Apollo or Tech into this tourney. Sucks!

Cathedral?

#18 Jagged_Ice

Jagged_Ice

All-Star Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Cathedral?

Ranked sixth in class A. It's a start but...

#19 zamboni-14

zamboni-14

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

I don't hate seeing Hill or BSM (or any private school) in AA. And I never really cheer against any of those schools (at least not like I cheer against Edina.)

#20 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

Who would have thought class A would be 4 blowouts ?

:blink: Seriously?

It's always that way (remember that stellar New Ulm showing last year...13-2 to St. Thomas)

Boy, New Ulm was an awesome representative once again this year losing 5-1 and 10-2.

Do away with Class A once and for all - it reeks. Keep the New Ulms of the world from making a mockery of a classic tourney. If no 'southern' teams are good enough, keep 'em out! (and yeah, I was in the Civic Center in '77 when Rochester John Marshall won it all...I know it CAN happen)

Make it a one-class, 16 team tourney with the best teams advancing - regardless of class-size or any other lame rules of "inclusion".

Hell, add a day and go 32.

Anyway, sounds like yesterday was an awesome day of puck...sorry I missed it.
Posted Image

- Milt Schmidt -

divider
wild.com is the official Web site of the Minnesota Wild Hockey Club. The Minnesota Wild, wild.com, "The State of Hockey" and State of Hockey flag image are trademarks of Minnesota Sports & Entertainment. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013  Minnesota Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

About Us | FAQs | Contact Us | Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use | Advertising | Code of Conduct | Privacy Policy | AdChoices

>