Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
Official Site of the Minnesota Wild
Hockey Day tickets Season Ticket Holder Central Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest MN Wild App
Wild Message Boards

Photo

Granlund Signs With The Wild, But What Can We Really Expect Out Of Him?

This topic is in the process of being archived.
1037 replies to this topic

#1 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Wild signs Mikael Granlund, but what should we (fans) expect?

Wild sign Mikael Granlund, the drama is finally over but should Wild fans expect?

Written by Derek Felska | 24 May 2012

Not living in the Twin Cities anymore as I used to; I still have most of my friends and family living there and all they can talk about lately is all the rain. In Minnesota, the weather is predictable in only one way; that its completely unpredictable. You can have scorching heat one part of the week and then bitterly cold and frost by the end of it. I've seen it happen where you have low 90's at the start and then finish the weak in the low 40's with a bone chilling wind. It doesn't make any sense, but its what you come to expect living in the Midwest. However, as the storms and rain made some Minnesota residents wonder if they were about to have a monsoon season they also breathed a collective sigh of relief at the news that Mikael Granlund had signed his 3-year entry level deal with the Wild. It is a 3-year deal that will pay him $900,000 / season with a $90,000 signing bonus along with performance based incentives that could pay him another $1.1 million. Not too shabby, and its a two-way deal meaning team could choose to give him seasoning by sending him down to play with the Houston Aeros. Maybe it was a small sigh, but for fans across the State of Hockey they couldn't help but peak over at their calendars and realize that the deadline for his signing was about a week away. If he had not signed he would've re-entered the draft. We can all rest well now that this drama has subsided right?

Maybe. Until we see Mikael Granlund play in NHL games and put up NHL points we really don't know what we have just yet. One thing is for certain, not everyone in the State of Hockey is sold on him being the savior of the franchise. Even the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Sid Hartman, who rarely ever talks about hockey (especially in late May) chimed in that Wild fans should not expect him to be Ricky Rubio and have an immediate impact with the team. Hartman really doesn't know anything about hockey (by his own admission) so you can take his opinion with a grain of salt but he's not the only one that thinks Wild fans should be perhaps a little more guarded in their expectations before they exalt him with the title of 'baby Jesus' just yet. So what should Wild fans expect from Mikael Granlund for 2012-13? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Apart from a large host of Finnish, Granlund hero worshippers attending the wild.com message boards, what should Wild fans expect from 'baby Jesus'? Please share your thoughts and enjoy!

"Why mess around with PT boats when you can have a Destroyer?" Al Strachan when talking about trade for Georges Laraque

#2 MuckOG

MuckOG

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I expect Granlund to put up something in the neighborhood of 50 points (15 g 35 a) this season, assuming he stays healthy of course.
Dark Star... RIP

#3 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

rookie full season w wild 15-18G, plus 25A , i'm just trying to be reasonable. do i hope he takes the nhl by storm and puts up skinner rookie #'s H3LL YEAH!

#4 geo-1

geo-1

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Sadly, "having an impact" offensively on this team is a pretty low bar. 10g/30p would be "having an impact" offensively. There were only five Wild who did better than that last year, maybe six if you give Clutter more credit for his 15g (but only 27p).

I think for his rookie year, I could be reasonably satisfied with 15g/40p (assuming he plays something close to a full schedule), which would put him 5th in goals and 4th in points on last years roster.

Not quite fantasy level results? 25g/60p.

Geo's First Law of Hockey Fandom: Three wins in a row means start planning the Cup Parade route. Three losses in a row means trade everybody.

#5 centcougar07

centcougar07

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationBlaine, MN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I expect him to contend for the Calder with Kreider if he plays the full season.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon

"I will personally challenge anyone who wants to get rid of fighting to a fight." -Brian Burke

#6 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I expect Granlund to put up something in the neighborhood of 50 points (15 g 35 a) this season, assuming he stays healthy of course.

With the Swarm???
Posted Image

"If a player comes along who is better then Bobby Orr, may the Good Lord let me be alive to see him because he is going to be one hell of a player to watch."

- Milt Schmidt -

#7 MuckOG

MuckOG

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

With the Swarm???

Expectations are high, Anti....as they should be. Best offensive draft pick since Gaborik, who put up 36 points on a first year expansion team with a bunch of stiffs around him. At least Granlund will have some legitimate NHLers to play with.

I understand that, as a Minnesota sports fan, I should always set my sights low and hope for the best. That way I can never feel let down. That's the way we've been conditioned due to the years of ineptness, not just from being a fan of the Wild, but also our other "professional" sports teams.

Well, enough is enough dammit! It's about time that we raise the bar and our expectations!! :P
Dark Star... RIP

#8 wildark45

wildark45

Taqaddum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Who's Sid Hartman?

Change our shoulder patches back! Got some sweet new white sweaters!

ScreenShot2013-01-15at23511PM.png

#9 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

assuming granlund pans out, i would expect him to eventually be a 25G-40A (65 pts) player very similar to koivu. cheers n go wild!

#10 WoodSmoke

WoodSmoke

Fourth Line Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

I was thinking along these numbers too. I think he's good enough that he'll see significant power play time, and that's where he'll get a good number of goals and assists. It also assumes an upgrade in overall talent compared to the end of 2011/2012.

#11 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

assuming granlund pans out, i would expect him to eventually be a 25G-40A (65 pts) player very similar to koivu. cheers n go wild!

:lol: Koivu has NEVER potted 25 - strictly a set-up guy...Which is totally fine and all - but do you have a clue?
Posted Image

"If a player comes along who is better then Bobby Orr, may the Good Lord let me be alive to see him because he is going to be one hell of a player to watch."

- Milt Schmidt -

#12 PtoJoneser

PtoJoneser

Upper Level Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

You mean those 3 years (of 7) that he made those numbers?
No mas pantalones

#13 DANOZ28

DANOZ28

DANOZ28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

laugh all you want but those are the #'s koivu should be putting up. for the doe we're paying him & his linemates should be improving very soon.

#14 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

laugh all you want but those are the #'s koivu should be putting up. for the doe we're paying him & his linemates should be improving very soon.

Do you even read what you write?

Yes - that is what MANY of us have been saying all along - that he SHOULD have those numbers! You intimated that he DOES - which is totally bogus.

Like you.
Posted Image

- Milt Schmidt -

#15 PtoJoneser

PtoJoneser

Upper Level Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Well, I SHOULD be getting paid a lot more to work, but sadly, Im just not.....

:blink:

:rolleyes:
No mas pantalones

#16 centcougar07

centcougar07

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationBlaine, MN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Do you even read what you write?

Yes - that is what MANY of us have been saying all along - that he SHOULD have those numbers! You intimated that he DOES - which is totally bogus.

Like you.

Don't you have anything better to do than try and puff out your chest and act tough online when people say things you don't agree with?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon

"I will personally challenge anyone who wants to get rid of fighting to a fight." -Brian Burke

#17 PtoJoneser

PtoJoneser

Upper Level Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Don't you have anything better to do than try and puff out your chest and act tough online when people say things you don't agree with?

Funniest part about Your post is - You dont even understand the point being made by Anti.....:rolleyes:

(Hint; Its not about agreeing with anything)
No mas pantalones

#18 Antti_Laxative

Antti_Laxative

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

If you find it acceptable for him to throw out crap, with no regard to facts, maybe you have the issue, not I.
Posted Image

- Milt Schmidt -

#19 Yeos-Schmos

Yeos-Schmos

Prospect

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I second that

#20 00Xtremeninja

00Xtremeninja

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Antti is french now? well I'll be damned.

divider
wild.com is the official Web site of the Minnesota Wild Hockey Club. The Minnesota Wild, wild.com, "The State of Hockey" and State of Hockey flag image are trademarks of Minnesota Sports & Entertainment. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013  Minnesota Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

About Us | FAQs | Contact Us | Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use | Advertising | Code of Conduct | Privacy Policy | AdChoices

>