Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedDog3

Vanek

92 posts in this topic

Interestingly, Sabres GM said that first talks today with Wild were about "a different player".  But he didn't say who. . .

. . . also said that Fletcher inquired about Pommer "two, three, four weeks ago" and it didn't come up again until today after the "other player" talks didn't result in a trade.

I'm just wondering how they'll manage the cap, if Vanek does come here?

~9 mil to sign Backie, PMB, Cullen, Clutter and Spurgeon(according to capgeek)? And Vanek is due to 7.1 mil next year, so even if they did buy out Heatley, I just don't know how they can make it.. What do you guys think'll happen?

Oh, and hi, I'm new to these forums... :D

I think the Wild would have a very difficult time in trying to sign Vanek.  In part because of the young players we have coming up; those guys will be wanting significant raises in a few years and if we don't set up the team properly we'll have to watch most of them go to different clubs.  I don't think that makes sense development-wise to draft a bunch of quality talent and then just let it all walk away just as its about to enter its prime. 

Coyle, Brodin especially...they're going want a pretty big increase after their entry level deals are done.  The Wild would be wise to prepare themselves for that.  I still can see us buying Heatley out to create that space in order to make those raises to Brodin and Coyle happen.  Adding Vanek would make it that much tougher. 

Vanek is also overpaid due to the offer sheet he was tendered by the Oilers when he was an RFA, I think he'd have to be willing to accept maybe $5 million if he really wanted to come and play for the Wild.  I'd give it a shot but I think Vanek will want more $$ than what we can probably offer.  The Islanders, the Panthers and Colorado will all have lots of cap space to work with, even as it comes down to offer towards Vanek.  Just sayin'...

Ughhh...I was sworn to secrecy with this...but I do have some inside info here.  I am hesitant to put it out here.  I don't know if it will be next season, but I do know that he wants to finish his career in MN.

edit---And I'm changing my avatar since I'm putting this out there...since it used to have my name on it.

Bouchard, Cullen, and Backstrom come of the books next year and we can by out Heater giving us around 22 million in cap space plenty for Vanek

So we're not going to re-sign any of them?  I think that's a bit presumptuous.  Don't forget the cap drops to just over $60 million next season.  So now you have just 12 million in cap space.  That fills up pretty fast. 

What kind of deals are we expecting those UFAs to take? I believe we want to resign Backie since we don't have another proven starter for next season? So will he take, what 5 mil? I have no idea, since I haven't followed NHL that much before, this being actually the second season I've even watched any games live. And are we just letting go of PMB?

Source please...

I will PM you my source as long as you will tell me you won't spread it...

I will PM you my source as long as you will tell me you won't spread it...

And I REALLY mean it LIG, this is seriously important to me!

Bouchard, Cullen, and Backstrom come of the books next year and we can by out Heater giving us around 22 million in cap space plenty for Vanek

I can rationalize losing PMB, but Culley?  I like Culley.  He's kinda like the glue that held us together on our winning streak!  As far as Backstrom goes, do we have a choice?  With Harding ill?

NO NO NO - We need to keep Cullen.  

1 person likes this

Oh please god do not re-sign Backstrom.  

?

I don't want to sound like a hopeless homer, but hasn't he done fine for MOST of the games this season..? I mean, we could do a lot worse IMO. Sure Kuemper has been solid for the Wild, but what if he had to do those back-to-back games like Backstrom? Could he do it? Correct me if I'm looking through blue-white glasses but I think Backstrom has done what the Wild needs from it's starter. Sure he has had bad games, but you're telling me that Lundqvist or Rinne don't?

?

I don't want to sound like a hopeless homer, but hasn't he done fine for MOST of the games this season..? I mean, we could do a lot worse IMO. Sure Kuemper has been solid for the Wild, but what if he had to do those back-to-back games like Backstrom? Could he do it? Correct me if I'm looking through blue-white glasses but I think Backstrom has done what the Wild needs from it's starter. Sure he has had bad games, but you're telling me that Lundqvist or Rinne don't?

Every goalie is going to have off games, it's inevitable.  The problem is he can't hold the team together alone.  The man needs some defensive HELP.  In my years of playing hockey I played two positions, Center and Keeper.  It's a tough job being a goalie, you win, and you're under appreciated.  You lose, and people look at you to blame.  People tend to forget there are five other players on the ice.  With that said, I'm torn with Backs...Some of the goals he's been letting by lately are unacceptable.  However, as I mentioned before, there are also five other players on the ice, and he doesn't seem to be getting much help from them.  I'm not ready to throw Backs under the bus yet.  Not yet.

?

I would re-sign him for a couple of years at half of his current salary to be an influence on the younger guys and split time with the younger goalies. Otherwise, I think we have to let him go.

I would re-sign him for a couple of years at half of his current salary to be an influence on the younger guys and split time with the younger goalies. Otherwise, I think we have to let him go.

Which younger goalies are you referring to?  Kuemper and who else?

When I posted this, I thought Vanek was an UFA next year, but it turns out it would be the following year.

I think, as Russo wrote about, acquiring Vanek is in Fletcher's plans and the way to show interest is acquiring his linemate and buddy. We saw it with the Parise/Suter double whammy. The guy is smart, and he doesn't just look at next year, he looks at the big picture. How he does it is another story, and if it works out is a big question. Will it involve a trade of a blue chipper? Or will involve limited action in free agency this year? Maybe we forego resigning Backy or Cullen to make room? Who knows... but I like his style.   

*gasp* Vanek ;)

I really can't see us giving backs 6.5 mil a year again. It's just way too much. He will have to come back for half that.  Plain and simple.

I thought Keumper did fine last night. (And yes i missed the third period admittedly) To be prepared, I wish they would give him more playing time!

1 person likes this

And I REALLY mean it LIG, this is seriously important to me!

Your source is safe with me.  But at the same time...you don't have to tell me that.  Its not the first time I've kept a secret around here. 

Unless you're going to go with Kuemper as your #1, I don't care who you get, you have to pay them #1 money. You're not going to get a starting #1 in the NHL for $1M/yr unless it is a guy on an entry contract.

So when talking about *whoever* as your #1, you probably have to figure on at least $3M/yr for cap purposes. Maybe there are some strategies that'd let you dodge that for one year (say trading for someone else's backup who is already signed for next season at #2 money), but it isn't too likely, and would be a one year situation anyway.

Your source is safe with me.  But at the same time...you don't have to tell me that.  Its not the first time I've kept a secret around here. 

Guys in that position are known to stroke their homeboys/gals tho, so even if the source is solid. . . it doesn't mean it would happen.

Russo is reporting the Sabres are eating part of Pominville's salary this year and next to help us with the cap. . . which is interesting on multiple levels, including implications for a Vanek deal and consideration of "what we paid vs what we got".

That's a whole new thought process that'll have to figured out and considered going forward. How much is a 4th round draft pick worth compared to $500,000 in salary cap relief you really need? That kind of thing.  Brave new world there.

I think before even having a "source" comment on Vanek potentially coming to Minnesota it's quite easy to see the potential is there. 

Well, who wouldn't want to play at home, right?

Exactly. 

I'm glad your source is infusing confidence (for lack of a better word) that the Wild may get him at some point, but really, It's nothing that really surprises me tbh. 

I'd even go as far as to say the friendship between Pominville and Vanek will pay larger dividends than Vanek's interest in Minnesota.