He'll be a Wild next year.

#2 geo-1

geo-1

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Interestingly, Sabres GM said that first talks today with Wild were about "a different player".  But he didn't say who. . .

. . . also said that Fletcher inquired about Pommer "two, three, four weeks ago" and it didn't come up again until today after the "other player" talks didn't result in a trade.

Geo's First Law of Hockey Fandom: Three wins in a row means start planning the Cup Parade route. Three losses in a row means trade everybody.

#3 Jay2023

Jay2023

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

I'm just wondering how they'll manage the cap, if Vanek does come here?

~9 mil to sign Backie, PMB, Cullen, Clutter and Spurgeon(according to capgeek)? And Vanek is due to 7.1 mil next year, so even if they did buy out Heatley, I just don't know how they can make it.. What do you guys think'll happen?

Oh, and hi, I'm new to these forums... :D

#4 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

I think the Wild would have a very difficult time in trying to sign Vanek.  In part because of the young players we have coming up; those guys will be wanting significant raises in a few years and if we don't set up the team properly we'll have to watch most of them go to different clubs.  I don't think that makes sense development-wise to draft a bunch of quality talent and then just let it all walk away just as its about to enter its prime. 

Coyle, Brodin especially...they're going want a pretty big increase after their entry level deals are done.  The Wild would be wise to prepare themselves for that.  I still can see us buying Heatley out to create that space in order to make those raises to Brodin and Coyle happen.  Adding Vanek would make it that much tougher. 

Vanek is also overpaid due to the offer sheet he was tendered by the Oilers when he was an RFA, I think he'd have to be willing to accept maybe $5 million if he really wanted to come and play for the Wild.  I'd give it a shot but I think Vanek will want more $$ than what we can probably offer.  The Islanders, the Panthers and Colorado will all have lots of cap space to work with, even as it comes down to offer towards Vanek.  Just sayin'...

"Why mess around with PT boats when you can have a Destroyer?" Al Strachan when talking about trade for Georges Laraque

#5 PnltyBoxBabe

PnltyBoxBabe

Boogaard's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationTransplanted to Southeastern VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Ughhh...I was sworn to secrecy with this...but I do have some inside info here.  I am hesitant to put it out here.  I don't know if it will be next season, but I do know that he wants to finish his career in MN.

edit---And I'm changing my avatar since I'm putting this out there...since it used to have my name on it.

Posted Image

We Miss You Boogey...

#6 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Source please...

"Why mess around with PT boats when you can have a Destroyer?" Al Strachan when talking about trade for Georges Laraque

#7 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Bouchard, Cullen, and Backstrom come of the books next year and we can by out Heater giving us around 22 million in cap space plenty for Vanek

So we're not going to re-sign any of them?  I think that's a bit presumptuous.  Don't forget the cap drops to just over $60 million next season.  So now you have just 12 million in cap space.  That fills up pretty fast. 

#8 Jay2023

Jay2023

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

What kind of deals are we expecting those UFAs to take? I believe we want to resign Backie since we don't have another proven starter for next season? So will he take, what 5 mil? I have no idea, since I haven't followed NHL that much before, this being actually the second season I've even watched any games live. And are we just letting go of PMB?

#9 PnltyBoxBabe

PnltyBoxBabe

Boogaard's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Source please...

I will PM you my source as long as you will tell me you won't spread it...

Posted Image

We Miss You Boogey...

#10 PnltyBoxBabe

PnltyBoxBabe

Boogaard's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I will PM you my source as long as you will tell me you won't spread it...

And I REALLY mean it LIG, this is seriously important to me!

Posted Image

We Miss You Boogey...

#11 PnltyBoxBabe

PnltyBoxBabe

Boogaard's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Bouchard, Cullen, and Backstrom come of the books next year and we can by out Heater giving us around 22 million in cap space plenty for Vanek

I can rationalize losing PMB, but Culley?  I like Culley.  He's kinda like the glue that held us together on our winning streak!  As far as Backstrom goes, do we have a choice?  With Harding ill?

Posted Image

We Miss You Boogey...

#12 Rolson2020

Rolson2020

Prospect

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Oh please god do not re-sign Backstrom.  

#13 Rolson2020

Rolson2020

Prospect

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

NO NO NO - We need to keep Cullen.  

#14 Jay2023

Jay2023

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Oh please god do not re-sign Backstrom.  

?

I don't want to sound like a hopeless homer, but hasn't he done fine for MOST of the games this season..? I mean, we could do a lot worse IMO. Sure Kuemper has been solid for the Wild, but what if he had to do those back-to-back games like Backstrom? Could he do it? Correct me if I'm looking through blue-white glasses but I think Backstrom has done what the Wild needs from it's starter. Sure he has had bad games, but you're telling me that Lundqvist or Rinne don't?

#15 PnltyBoxBabe

PnltyBoxBabe

Boogaard's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

?

I don't want to sound like a hopeless homer, but hasn't he done fine for MOST of the games this season..? I mean, we could do a lot worse IMO. Sure Kuemper has been solid for the Wild, but what if he had to do those back-to-back games like Backstrom? Could he do it? Correct me if I'm looking through blue-white glasses but I think Backstrom has done what the Wild needs from it's starter. Sure he has had bad games, but you're telling me that Lundqvist or Rinne don't?

Every goalie is going to have off games, it's inevitable.  The problem is he can't hold the team together alone.  The man needs some defensive HELP.  In my years of playing hockey I played two positions, Center and Keeper.  It's a tough job being a goalie, you win, and you're under appreciated.  You lose, and people look at you to blame.  People tend to forget there are five other players on the ice.  With that said, I'm torn with Backs...Some of the goals he's been letting by lately are unacceptable.  However, as I mentioned before, there are also five other players on the ice, and he doesn't seem to be getting much help from them.  I'm not ready to throw Backs under the bus yet.  Not yet.

Posted Image

We Miss You Boogey...

#16 WildDamien

WildDamien

Minor Leaguer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

?

I would re-sign him for a couple of years at half of his current salary to be an influence on the younger guys and split time with the younger goalies. Otherwise, I think we have to let him go.

#17 PnltyBoxBabe

PnltyBoxBabe

Boogaard's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I would re-sign him for a couple of years at half of his current salary to be an influence on the younger guys and split time with the younger goalies. Otherwise, I think we have to let him go.

Which younger goalies are you referring to?  Kuemper and who else?

Posted Image

We Miss You Boogey...

#18 RedDog3

RedDog3

Top Six Forward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

When I posted this, I thought Vanek was an UFA next year, but it turns out it would be the following year.

I think, as Russo wrote about, acquiring Vanek is in Fletcher's plans and the way to show interest is acquiring his linemate and buddy. We saw it with the Parise/Suter double whammy. The guy is smart, and he doesn't just look at next year, he looks at the big picture. How he does it is another story, and if it works out is a big question. Will it involve a trade of a blue chipper? Or will involve limited action in free agency this year? Maybe we forego resigning Backy or Cullen to make room? Who knows... but I like his style.   

#19 Megawild

Megawild

Third Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationDominating a belching contest near you

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

*gasp* Vanek ;)

I really can't see us giving backs 6.5 mil a year again. It's just way too much. He will have to come back for half that.  Plain and simple.

I thought Keumper did fine last night. (And yes i missed the third period admittedly) To be prepared, I wish they would give him more playing time!

#20 LemaireisGOD

LemaireisGOD

aka Killer Carlson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

And I REALLY mean it LIG, this is seriously important to me!

Your source is safe with me.  But at the same time...you don't have to tell me that.  Its not the first time I've kept a secret around here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

divider
wild.com is the official Web site of the Minnesota Wild Hockey Club. The Minnesota Wild, wild.com, "The State of Hockey" and State of Hockey flag image are trademarks of Minnesota Sports & Entertainment. NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 2012 Minnesota Wild Hockey Club, LP and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

About Us | FAQs | Contact Us | Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use | Advertising | Code of Conduct | Privacy Policy | AdChoices