Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antti_Laxative

Iowa Wild - Class Organization

5 posts in this topic

A tip of the cap and a heartfelt thank you to the Iowa Wild, and ESPECIALLY to Jenna Bieri! Over the course of a few games, they had promotions centered around awareness of prostate cancer (which I have.)

I retweeted a few of their great posts around said activities and promotions and added my thanks for their support. I have mentioned in these forums how discouraged I am at the lack of awareness for PC - especially amongst sports teams, citing in particular, the NFL wearing pink for breast cancer awareness (which I'm all for, trust me.) But they are GUYS for Pete's sake...how about helping spread the word for a GUY cancer??!!

Anyway the Iowa Wild get it...and I told them so.

Out of the blue, Ms. Bieri (Director of Social Media and Community Relations) contacts me for my mailing address, et voila! ... this was in my mail today :)

Signed hat, puck and mini stick ... #39 Kurtis Gabriel (he of the 125 penalty minutes last year) ;)

Thanks Jenna...thanks Wild! Your support of Prostate Cancer Awareness is greatly appreciated.

20151205_143738-1_zpsws0xseek.jpg

So classy.

I know I only "know" you from messageboards but I'm sorry to hear that bud and I wish you and all your relations the best.

Hockey Fights Cancer is a great thing

The parent organization Wild themselves are a classy organization, too. They gave a good friend of mine a ride on the zamboni between periods, once, they didn't know it, but he didn't have much longer before he died at age 22 so I'm thankful that he was able to do that, I still keep the picture around.

We gave him a Mario Lemieux puck to hold for strength when he was in the hospital, told him it was the game puck and then watched Canada beat Slovakia 5 to 1 in the World Cup of Hockey. Tough thing to talk about.

There's a good documentary on Terry Fox by Steve Nash. "Into the Wind", it's called, I could mail ya the DVD pretty easy if you want, just inbox me. I get a little strength sometimes by thinking about the Terry Fox story, I have to take my hat off a lot when I pass by the statue outside Thunder Bay.

I have a few John Torchetti Iowa Wild bobble heads that were given out as a promotion. Only 1500 made. They go for about 30-50 bucks on eBay. I'll sell them for 40 bucks to anyone interested. Email tjhoward185@gmail.com . Thanks