CaptainH

Step up, somebody

76 posts in this topic

I think its about time for the Captain and/or veteran leadership to step up, maybe call some guys out. Maybe a players only meeting. I don't know. I haven't heard s*it from those guys. Makes me question whether or not this team really cares. Unbelievable...

Maybe it really is fatigue--can anybody come up with a different explanation for this across the board collapse?

Brutal schedule, losing streak taking a toll mentally, trying too much which leads to guys getting frustrated and do things they shouldn't do, Doobs overworked due to poor D at times and Wild not having a reliable backup. 

Loads of stuff factor in.

They should just play the game and have fun. Trying too hard only makes you hold your stick too tight and make mistakes.

"Don't worry, be happy." I guess. :P

On a sidenote, Chicago is getting obliterated by Florida at the moment; 7-0 so far.

1 person likes this

First and foremost I think it's a mental breakdown.

Somebody should get very angry at the team but I'm not seeing it. The leaders, coaches or the owner are not stepping up.

Almost as anticipated, the Wild were plugging along nicely and Fletcher added two more veteran players. One of them another 'Alternate' captain.

Just when the young guys established themselves as the dominant half of the roster, management once again screwed the pooch by bringing in more guys that rub elbows with the vets and suddenly Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Graovac and Schroeder find themselves shuffled off lines they previously were a strong-hold on.

How many Alternate captains in the twilight of their careers does this team need to put our young talent on the shelf with fewer minutes and lessor talented line mates?

Parise, Suter, Pominville, Moulson, Heatley, Vanek... And now Hanzel.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Almost as anticipated, the Wild were plugging along nicely and Fletcher added two more veteran players. One of them another 'Alternate' captain.

Just when the young guys established themselves as the dominant half of the roster, management once again screwed the pooch by bringing in more guys that rub elbows with the vets and suddenly Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Graovac and Schroeder find themselves shuffled off lines they previously were a strong-hold on.

How many Alternate captains in the twilight of their careers does this team need to put our young talent on the shelf with fewer minutes and lessor talented line mates?

Parise, Suter, Pominville, Moulson, Heatley, Vanek... And now Hanzel.

I don't think Suter belongs in this group--he can actually still play.

1 person likes this

Suter can still play, but can he lead? By the way this team crumbles to smithereens whenever the tiniest adversity strikes, I'd doubt there's zero leadership from any of our captains.

1 person likes this

He hasn't been leading by example lately. Been getting beat and takes undisciplined penalties as a result. Yesterday he didn't wait for the final 3-4 minutes to kill any comeback, He got it over with early. 

The Hanzel/White deal isn't doing much but one thing's certain. If We didn't make any deadline trades and stuck with what we had and ran into a cold streak or RD 1 exit, The same people, generally speaking, would be up in arms saying we should have done something. No win.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

He hasn't been leading by example lately. Been getting beat and takes undisciplined penalties as a result. Yesterday he didn't wait for the final 3-4 minutes to kill any comeback, He got it over with early. 

The Hanzel/White deal isn't doing much but one thing's certain. If We didn't make any deadline trades and stuck with what we had and ran into a cold streak or RD 1 exit, The same people, generally speaking, would be up in arms saying we should have done something. No win.

You've got that right. I thought Fletcher did the right thing trying to improve the team, and who knows, H and W can still make big contributions to this team. After all, we did get them to improve our chances of making a run in the playoffs. And losing streak or not, we still have a chip and a chair.

6 hours ago, CaptainH said:

I don't think Suter belongs in this group--he can actually still play.

True. But Suter was also a part of 'core leaders' receiving 30+ minutes a game while putting the kids in back of the bus.

1 person likes this

And the biggest part of my point was management getting all kinds of leadership type players who cast shadows over others who actually have talent.

2 people like this

On 3/26/2017 at 7:16 AM, lynxrattle said:

Suter can still play, but can he lead? By the way this team crumbles to smithereens whenever the tiniest adversity strikes, I'd doubt there's zero leadership from any of our captains.

In order for any player to lead a team they have to have teammates who want to win and put in the effort to do it. Right now I would say there is about 5 guys who are putting in the effort while the rest are satisfied that the season is almost over.

Also Rotten is so very right that Fletcher once again messed with a good thing and it appears to have burnt this team so far. The trade is not looking good as since then the team just looks ugly.

Yesterday, I saw Parise and Mikko giving there all and that is great. The bad part is I think they lead by "example only" not much verbal or balls to get in guys faces. Suter same thing just plays his game and can always be counted on to do just that but not a leader just a good D man.

IMO we need some verbal scrappers to jump start and motivate others. It is one thing to lead by example and most the time should be all that is needed especially at the NHL level but these SOB's are human and need a kick in the pants by each other not just the coaches. Being a leader is a lot more then just preforming well yourself.

Maybe they need a big group hug, lol

1 person likes this

Agree on the need to motivate by some tough words here. And if it should go back to that leading by example stuff again, I suggest a kick or two in the eyes.

I will say I rather see our AHL kids all come up and play instead of the team now. Right now players are just showing maybe a 50% effort. The Wings game was a little better but still it just appears these guys could care less and are just coasting and whatever happens, happens. This started before we were even locked into a playoff spot. So I rather see some young kids go out there and give 100% effort and lose then watch the guys now give a 50% effort and coast and lose. I can get behind guys giving a 100% and leaving it all on the ice then watch guys continue to give half a effort and pat themselves on the back for doing one thing right.

2 people like this

The slump to me is all about the Wild not playing up to the level of competition.  When a team is hot like they were other teams coming in are going to be gunning for them.  The wild are getting the other teams best, but they just look like they are in cruise control.

Koivu really needs to step up his leadership.  Parise in not that guy and neither is Suter.  Koivu really is Mr. Wild and you just don't see a fire in this teams belly and it needs to be one of the teammates to light it.  BB can only do so much.  It has to come from the players now.

2 people like this

I agree with you. I think it should be Staal that should step up. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, wildpucker said:

The slump to me is all about the Wild not playing up to the level of competition.  When a team is hot like they were other teams coming in are going to be gunning for them.  The wild are getting the other teams best, but they just look like they are in cruise control.

Koivu really needs to step up his leadership.  Parise in not that guy and neither is Suter.  Koivu really is Mr. Wild and you just don't see a fire in this teams belly and it needs to be one of the teammates to light it.  BB can only do so much.  It has to come from the players now.

The cliche that he leads by example isn't too far from the truth. And when that kind of a captain can't get motivated, it WILL show.

We do have guys who could be the captains, but I don't think it would currently change anything. This is 100 % Koivu's team in good and in bad.

1 person likes this

Koivu has a nice season going for him but he's not a leader. Yesterday's face washing was all he could come up with? Seriously, it has to be someone else. But I agree, Suter and Parise don't seem to be able to lead either.

2 people like this

I believe It's a Parise and Suter problem, the annual slumps came after they came aboard. I think Zach is a profectionist and probably not well liked in the lockeroom. So when he does speak up, they (the youth) think he is a giant Dbag, while pommers and suter just repeat Zach, thus creating a divide in the team. 

3 people like this

On 3/25/2017 at 8:01 PM, CaptainH said:

I think its about time for the Captain and/or veteran leadership to step up, maybe call some guys out. Maybe a players only meeting. I don't know. I haven't heard s*it from those guys. Makes me question whether or not this team really cares. Unbelievable...

Maybe it really is fatigue--can anybody come up with a different explanation for this across the board collapse?

Step up?  Its a little late for that.  This team is done done done!  Over achievers is the only words i can come up with and they will be one and done in 5 games in round one!

This team showed what it is capable of earlier in the season.  I honestly think they can regroup but winning the cup seems maybe a little far off though.  When Doobs was rolling it just felt like he was 2 goals and that was going to be the max.  It's in him so I think the confidence factor is what makes or breaks this team.

31 minutes ago, wildpucker said:

This team showed what it is capable of earlier in the season.  I honestly think they can regroup but winning the cup seems maybe a little far off though.  When Doobs was rolling it just felt like he was 2 goals and that was going to be the max.  It's in him so I think the confidence factor is what makes or breaks this team.

But why is their confidence so easily shaken? I don't believe It's about confidence at all. It's like many have said before on here, it's the vets against the youth. They need a common enemy. I can't believe I'm about to say this but this team may have a better chance with Torts as the coach. That way the vets and youth could come together because of their hate for him.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, wildpucker said:

Yes that they are overachievers and no matter how you slice it another melt down.  Its a Minnesota sports team after all.  Wild zero cups.  North stars zero cups, two trips to the finals but thats Minnesota hockey.  Minnesota does not deserve the phrase State of hockey.